Sunday, December 15, 2013

Double Yolkers: Insects and Sustainability

Chickens just love insects!

I've come to love insects too!

Insects love doing something I think of as 'up-cycling'... take some offal, or worse (!)... and feed it to insects to create high protein, high fat food for chickens.
This is so much better than bought food.
Why? Well, whenever our chickens get a lot of really awesome food... they have twins!! Awesome!!

Double yolker!
Bow before your leader...
My favourite is black soldier fly larvae, an excellent alternative to a worm farm although you can do both!
Ringo the chook hanging out like a junkie near the black soldier fly larvae composting unit (foreground).
Of course, insects can also be fed to other animals and I'd like to suggest... bartered to people with chooks or fish.

I can't get enough of them! Black soldier fly larvae can be cleanly frozen and delivered whenever you visit ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment