Friday, December 20, 2013

Stay Calm and Carry On

Some days I feel frantic, without any space for thought... a mad rush to do... not much! How often do you feel like that? Of course, I usually only realise after the day is done that I haven't actually achieved all that much, other than add a few grey hairs.

We've had several days like that in the last few weeks, thankfully now I am feeling the "slow and gentle rhythm" (as Rhonda would say) of being at home, caring for our son, pulling together a fast dinner and casually catching up on a week's worth of washing while chatting on the phone ;)

The secret is, I've heard, habit.

 if you haven't heard of it, a quick description...

Slow is about considered action creating a leading a life worth living... a life fully experienced moment by moment. In taking the time to fully live each moment, life yields multiple synergistic benefits in happiness, well-being, frugality, sustainability and more.

Of course, this might be a rose coloured view of what we can expect... but optimism is better than pessimism! 

Claire blogs about her Slow journey and a recent post nailed how to create new habits:

"3-Phase habit hacking approach using Slow principles
Phase 1 – reflect and observe to understand context before devising strategy
Phase 2 – create the habit hacking plan
Phase 3 – implement plan"


Slow and steady wins the race!

Sourdough starter
Recently, I have been consistently making my own bread, although not sourdoughm I've settled into a routine that takes about 5 minutes using biodynamic wheat! This is what I like to think of as a happy medium rather than striving for perfection and ending up with store-bought bread ;)

I've also been picking something from the garden every day - this habit drives the other habits to water, fertilise and sow. The garden isn't much now, but those zucchini flowers I fertilised the other day are promising! Beginning with the end in mind leads me to ask 'will we eat that?' and 'will it yield?'.
David's cherry tomatoes

I hope to revisit the Slow philosophy from time to time with this blog. Check out your local library for more information ... a good place to start is - Carl Honoré.

No comments:

Post a Comment